1. What did you do in 2017 that you’d never done before?
I went on the 21 day fix for slightly longer than the fixes prefixed time limit of 21 days. In that time I became pretty thin, then fell off the wagon faster than some unsecured watermelons in mid July and immediately gained back most of that weight.
Wait! That sounds exactly like a fad diet and I HAVE done that before, so color me a two bit liar.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn’t make any. This year I want to pray more for my children t
o conform to my will so I look better in front of my friends to be drawn to the gospel truth.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Me! Me! I did! His name is Duke. He is chubby and dense just like me and I love him and squeeze him and he has a cute button nose, but sometimes he pinches me which is very uncool, but he’s a baby so it’s fine.
I was concerned that he might not be cute because my other children are and 4 cute children felt like tempting fate, but he is indeed very cute. The Lord Jesus gives good gifts.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. My sweet friends lost their sweet baby Jack this year. I was so glad to get to know him during his short time with us.
3He heals the brokenhearted
and binds up their wounds.
4He determines the number of the stars;
he gives to all of them their names.
5Great is our Lord, and abundant in power;
his understanding is beyond measure.
5. What places did you visit?
San Diego!! It was just as sunny and wonderfully mild as I remembered.
Hot dang right? That’s a handsome looking pizza! Just kidding, I never objectify my pizza- I ONLY respect it.
6. What would you like to have in 2018 that you lacked in 2017?
I would like my speech to be seasoned with salt and not seasoned with regret.
7. What dates from 2017 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
March 7- Baby Duke was born! He’s so cute.
March 19- The year I did not make Nick a trifle for his birthday and he can’t let it go and keeps casually bringing it up when I least expect it, very subltey, but enough to let me know that I should have made that damn trifle and maybe bought a balloon or something.
Hey google, set a reminder for Kaley to set up gofundme page for Nick’s record breaking most bangin trifle party in the history of man kind.
This is a trifle:
Every year Nick’s mom sends the special limey (I understand that to be a British insult) custard from the U.K. which I almost always can’t get to set correctly and if this is the worst thing Nick demands all year I should really stop complaining.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Walking again! During my third trimester with Duke, for a myriad of reasons, I could walk nary a fifty paces. Had someone challenged me to a duel, I would have been SOL.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Wow. Tough to pin this one down. I bet if you asked Owen or Maisy they would know.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Just the general aches and pains of being an unfit mother of 4! Working out? Ain’t nobody got time for that!
This. This is my excuse.
11. What was the best thing you bought this year?
A pair of worn in Sperry’s at a thrift shop for 9 dollars.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Food! Living in a touristy town is
But look at these views Holmes-
I took that on a walk 7 minutes away from my house.
13. What did you get really excited about? Girls. Weekend.
We all met up and talked and ate and used the selfie stick and then we laughed and also had French fries. We talked about racial reconciliation, and earrings and spiritual warfare but also made a dubsmash. They are my bosom friends and I love them.
14. What song will always remind you of 2017? “Where You Are”- Moana
Consider the coconut. The WHAT?!
“Awake my Soul & Sing” -Bethany Barnard
15. Compared to this time last year, are you: – happier or sadder?
– thinner or fatter?
Thinner than 30 some weeks pregs. Which is like not even encouraging in any way! 💁🏻
– richer or poorer?
Richer in arrows for quiver. Poorer because #diapersforyears
I had danced in public more. Like this lady.
I got in some sweet public dancing at the mall recently but only prancercised once or twice on my street this year and I just don’t want to hide my light under a bushel you know?! You get it.
Similarly, I wish I had danced in private more as well.
I wish I had been filmed at a live concert doing a strange dance and it was immortalized on a DVD somewhere.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of? I wish I had gotten less dental work. I thought getting a root canal would be relaxing, but there is a lot more choking on your own spit going on than what I had previously imagined.
18. How did you spend Christmas? Christmas program jokes
STJ. Billy Graham meet up 🙌 God save the queen.
-Game of Thrones. Just everything. GOT is everything. The dragon scenes in this season were what I’ve been waiting for this entire series. Nerd out so hard.
-The Great British Baking Show. “It’s a good bake” watch this on Netflix. It’s, in a word, delightful.
Stranger Things- Because Billy.
20. What were your favorite books of the year? None Like Him- Jen Wilkin
The Heidelberg Catechism
Because He Loves Me- Elyse M Fitzpatrick
A Study in Scarlett- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Glory in the Ordinary- Courtney Reissig
Holding On to Hope- Nancy Guthrie
Walking with God through Pain and Suffering- Tim Keller
Daniel of the Bible. Lions, fiery furnaces, apocalyptic prophesy- its got everything!!
21. What was your favorite music from this year? https://youtu.be/jo0fECusCH0
Bethany Barnard (formerly Dillon) so, so deeply good.
22. What were your favorite movies of the year? Hollywood, y so much existential dread tho? Whyyyy???
Movies guaranteed not to make you want journal while Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls plays softly in the background, as follows:
The Big Sick- A must see. No really.
The Lego Batman Movie- Actually very funny.
Ok, upon deeper reflection, I think I hated almost every movie I watched this year 😳
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? 32! I looked up from my phone on which I was googling “uterine prolapse symptoms” and realized I had turned 32.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurabley more satisfying? Living in Norfolk!
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2017? Tight bottom, tight arms, loose where my torso loses all definition. Accentuate extremities ONLY! Pants must be tight enough to hold in internal organs since abdominal wall is, in a word, gone.
Still relying heavily on make up and flashy accessories to distract everyone from what I actually look like.
Got some clutch bronzer this year that took 5 lbs off of my face.
Also, the Keurig machine.
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2017? That it is important to remind yourself of the grace you have received from Jesus. When you reflect on the great sacrifice He made for you, on His love, then the focus can shift off of yourself and onto His glory.
Scripture is great to pray. And meditate on. Like, kind of a duh moment but it’s been huge for me to immerse myself more.
28. Your guilty pleasure? Candy. Chocolate candy. Donuts with sprinkles. 🍩🍫🤤 29. Song lyric that sums up the year:
These T Swift lyrics sum up Nick’s Naval regulation Mustache.