1. What did you do in 2015 that you’d never done before? Obviously something very cool, in keeping with my ultra modern trendsetting personality. I bought a rice cooker.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I’m pretty sure that I didn’t make any. Maybe survival was on the resolution list. We have, all five of us, survived another year and I find value in that.
Next year I would like to cut down on my sugar intake, because my teeth are turning into jellybeans.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Oh yea. Someone very close to me. As in myself. World, Meet Henry!!
All 9 pounds, 22 inches of him. Who is just very much the best and most wonderful baby of all time.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Twinky the Cat. Which is every cry face emoji possible on earth and three Celine Dion songs.
Rest in Peace sweet angel. Give Jesus a love bite for me.
5. What countries did you visit? The country called I have 3 kids now.
6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015? An ability to preempt my neurosis with grace. From Jesus.
7. What dates from 2015 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
- March 26. Henry’s Birth Date.
- 15/15/15. So many people got married. Wait.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Learning how to get in and out of the car with three children, none of whom can buckle their own seatbelt. At first, it seemed insurmountable. But now I do it all the time. And I don’t even cry.
9. What was your biggest failure? I still haven’t been to the dentist. In 10 years. I really thought 2015 would be the year!
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? It’s possible I have jelly beans for teeth, but with no dentist’s opinion, it’s hard to be sure.
11. What was the best thing you bought? I bought a rice cooker! I already told you!!
12. Where did most of your money go? Food and dates and food and more food.
McNugget, McNugget, where are thou? <– Name of chapter in as yet unwritten memoir
13. What did you get really excited about?
Hebrews. Sharpie pens, preferably black. The Giphy Cam and DubSmash apps.
14. What song will always remind you of 2015?
- Geronimo. By that emo band that did a video using cardboard props. Because Maisy Jo had me play it all day erry day.
- Also, Wildest Dreams by Taylor Swift.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? I am certainly more joyful, but absolutely more weary. Nick and I have conjectured that we may have contracted mono.
– thinner or fatter? I mean. Wow. That’s tough. Fatter than I’ve ever been at 9 months post partum, but quite possibly thinner than I was when I wrote this 7 months pregnant.
– richer or poorer? samesies
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
- Teaching Maisy Jo her colors
- Me:”What color is this?” MJ:”Cat”
- Any exercise that would make my butt a little less gelatinous. As in, if you get anything near it, it could use it’s tractor beams a la the Deathstar. “Get away! It’s dangerous!”
- Friendship building.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
- Cocaine. Once you start, you simply can not stop.
- Lying about taking cocaine.
18. How did you spend Christmas? With my family and Nick’s and their pet ferrets.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
- Game of Thrones.
- House of Cards
- The 100.
- The Leftovers.
- New Girl.
- Brooklyn nine nine
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
- Prodigal God- Tim Keller Profound. Reformed. Heart eye emojis.
- Poking a Dead Frog- Mike Sacks
- Disappointment With God- Phillip Yancy
- Why Not Me? Mindy Kaling
- When People Are Big and God is Small- Edward Welch
Oh my gosh. Did I read no dystopian fiction this year?? Consider that something I wish I had done more of.
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
- Taylor Swift and that time I went to a Taylor Swift concert and she gave us all bracelets that lit up and synched to her performance. Yaaas!!
- You Don’t Know What’s Going On- Nickel Creek
- In the Beginning- Bethany Dillon
- Bugatti- Ace Hood
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Those are also the only two films that I saw this year.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I. Turned. 30. I know. And my friends made me this cake.
And my other friends ate burritos with me.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? A sticker chart full of gold stars.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015?
I would entitle it “Conceal, don’t feel” and it features jean leggings that could on a good day pass as jeans, but do not feel like jeans. Other staples are blazers that are actually cotton, large baggy shirts with busy patterns to confuse the eye, and of nautical stripes for when I just want to keep it real. And I can not forget that my bad ombre is now completely fixed. It only took a full calendar year. Hooray!!
26. What kept you sane? Oh. I started drinking coffee this year. Three kids. Thirty years on earth. Both those things a coffee drinker made. Thanks Keurig! And coffee!
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015. No matter how far back you think a bowl of pasta is on the side table, one of your three children can and will find a way for it to go face down on the carpet. And then you can sing a rousing rendition of “On Top of Spaghetti” and pretend you’re not mad, but inside, you are. Because you just wanted to eat that spaghetti.
28. Your Guilty pleasure? Justin Beiber VEVO. I mean. I can’t feel guilty if it’s not embarrassing.
29. Song lyric that sums up the year: