1. What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before? Is it 2014? I think it is. I got pregnant. Oh wait, I can’t stop doing that. Nevermind. We also moved into Norfolk. And we lurve it.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I did keep most of my resolutions, except for staying on Weight Watchers. That was hard because I got pregnant and I really like to gain around 60 lbs when I do that. YOLO!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Can everybody just take a breather and stop talking about giving birth??
4. Did anyone close to you die? Date night almost died, but then I found a really good babysitter.
5. What countries did you visit? I went to Canada with my husband and all I got was pregnant! #jonanddanielle2014 (that’s a wedding hashtag. you should know pretty much every third child story starts with a wedding and an open bar)
6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014? Well, sleep comes to mind although I realize how laughable that sounds. How about a famous blog that generates money? Yeah. I’d like that.
7. What dates from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
- I no longer remember dates. Pregnancy has given me a chronic case of dyscalculia. That’s number dyslexia.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Learning my Meyers-Briggs personality type. Now I can watch Harry Potter and totally relate to Ron getting all hangry on the hunt for horcruxes. Me too Ron, me too. (We’re both ENFP’s, according to a Pinterest graphic I saw. #accurate)
9. What was your biggest failure? Potty training. It took a long time and it was hard, stinky, and full of self loathing. We finally did it, but I’m not proud of myself at all.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Does the general fugue of the first trimester count as illness? Then yes.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Nick and I bought a GMC Acadia, that has the inner configuration of a mini-van, but the gas consumption of a Hummer. It has butt warmers and a moon roof. It’s, like, totally bougie.
12. Where did most of your money go? The children. Winter clothing. Winter maternity clothing. A GMC Acadia. The usual.
13. What did you get really excited about? Nick got really excited about whiskey this year. I’m pretty excited about my maternity leggings. Oh and a couple mommy websites have accepted submissions from me. Look for me on Scary Mommy in the coming year. #notfamous #yet
14. What song will always remind you of 2014?
- Blank Space-Taylor Swift
Maybe I didn’t tell you Nick got me tickets to see Swift-a-licious this summer, making four months postpartum a tangible weight loss goal. I have to look decent for that concert. I HAVE TO!
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? I am neither. I am simply tired. I have no barometer on feelings anymore, just musings on how exhausted I am.
– thinner or fatter? Way, way fatter. Whenever I’m skinny, Nick gets me pregnant. Then I get fat again.
– richer or poorer? Poorer. And richer. Because BAH went up 100 dollars. Baller status!
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
- Maybe exercising?
- Parenting, the non-iPad kind
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
- laying on the couch feeling dead. But that’s not on me- that’s on the hormones.
18. How did you spend Christmas? With our family, eating pigs in a blanket and carefully disguising our passive aggression with eggnog and inane conversation.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
- Call the Midwife.
- Gilmore Girls. Rory and Logan forever!
- Brooklyn Nine Nine.
- New Girl.
- The Blacklist. I’m starting a campaign for Liz to get rid of her Moe haircut though.
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
- Dad is Fat by Jim Gaffigan (thanks Anna!) -This is a must read for parents who like funny things.
- The Meaning of Marriage by Tim Keller -This is a must read for married people.
- A Loving Life by Paul Miller -This is a must read for people.
- I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen -This is a must read for parents who are dark.
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
- NICKEL CREEK GOT BACK TOGETHER AND IT WAS AMAZING!
- Obviously the incomparable Taylor Swift.
- Baby Einstein. Or as Owen would say: Baby Ein-sky-n
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
- You are assuming I saw a movie this year. You are wrong. Wait, do rented movies count? I think they do.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? Nick and I got a bunch of blow and went to a club. hahahaha. I celebrated my last birthday ever, 29, by going to dinner and staying out until 8:30. I know. I drank a Chai Latte and everything.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? More energy.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014? Well, I started out trying to be trendy. I got shooties and went shopping and everything. And I ended it in Maternity clothes, which are either horrifying or incredibly expensive. So I guess if summed up in a phrase it would be: “Trying hard, succeeding mediocrely” and scarves. always scarves.
26. What kept you sane? Believe it or not, this blog keeps me pretty sane. And Jesus. So, in retrospect, mostly Jesus. And chai lattes. And women’s bible study. And inattention to grammar.
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014. That just because you think you’re not ovulating, does not mean that you are actually not ovulating. #pregnant
28. Your Guilty pleasure? Treating myself. To Starbucks. To cookies. To a lip gloss. To a shirt at Target. Stop treating yourself Kaley! You don’t get a reward for being an actual grown up!
29. Song lyric that sums up the year: “What you got in the stable” Hozier
Spoiler alert: It’s a baby.