Something a Navy Wife knows a lot about is moving around a lot and finding new friends. Finding new friends is the worst. A terrible, terrible punishment that no human should be forced to endure. Does anyone get crazy jealous of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants crew, whose mothers made them best friends when they became friends in pregnancy aerobics class? That’s what I’m talking about. Ready made friends before they came out of the womb. Or Corey and Sean. Forever friends.
I get worried. I have too much inward neurosis to make it work. And generally people think I’m outgoing which is hard, because I’m not. That’s why I write this blog. Extroverts don’t really write blogs. They have real friends that they’re doing real stuff with.
Anyway, I digress. What I’m here to talk about is: things that I instantly look for in a new friend.
- Does their phone have emoji capabilities? I don’t want to be texting alien box faces at them. This is important.
- Do we have any television shows in common? It doesn’t matter which show, I just need to know, do they keep up with the kardashians? Are they breaking bad? Do they know who Hodor is?
- Keeping with this, similar interest in books is good too. If not I can always wear them down little by little until they finally give in and read Harry Potter. you know who you are
- Are they gonna be cool when I get weird?
- Do they have kids and if so did those kids give them saggy boobs? This is not a must and more of a bonus. Then we can start the saggy boobs club. SBC 4 Lyfe!
“And friends are friends forever, if the Lord’s the Lord of them. And a friend will not say never, and the welcome will not end.”