One thing you need to know about me is that I’m terrible at Googling. Like, really bad. So, I searched for a new survey, but I couldn’t find one. Last years it is! I want to preemptively apologize for the amount of times I forget to replace 2012 with 2013.
Some background information, I lived 7 months in Mississippi and 5 in Virginia this year. Just so you know. However, the Mississippi moments are somewhat foggy due to my pregnancy and then one sleep deprived month with Maisy Jo.
1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
I moved to Virginia. I’ve never done that before. My friends from the deep deep (my affectionate nickname for the Deep South) alleged that Virginia is Yankee country, and while that is probably true of the DC Metro Northern Virginia area, it is not true for here. For instance, news anchors refer to Norfolk as Nawfawk, whereas I say “Nor-fuk.” (Perhaps I should assimilate into the native way of pronouncing it, my way seems totes inapprops) Oh, and they serve sweet tea in restaurants. So, it’s pretty southern.
Oh, and I went to a beer sampling convention while I was pregnant in Mississippi. Ironically, I wasn’t even the only pregnant lady there. I was DD. Perks of DD? Making everyone stop for Chicken McNuggets.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn’t make any resolutions in 2012 because I cared about nothing and no one. First trimester nausea will do that to a person. This year I have a few.
Firstly, to be less shallow.
Secondly, to stay on Weight Watchers the entire year and still do it even when I reach my goal weight. Because round 3 on WW is making it clear to me that I’ll be doing it every couple of years anyway.
Thirdly, donate more to charities.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes. Someone very close to me i.e. myself. Enter Maisy Jo. She’s the best. For details on birth, see birth story here.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. Granddad. He was sweet and gentle and meek and mild. I will miss him. So will my entire family.
5. What countries did you visit?
Yeah, really? None. I visited no countries because I have a 2 year old and an infant. I went to the movies about 3 times with Nick. Does that count?
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
A clean and organized house. We were doing okay, then we moved and created another human life. Which is draining. I’d like to change my cleaning philosophy, which in 2013 was “Eff that closet, I’m taking a nap!”
7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
- This is funny because I really can’t ever remember Maisy’s birth date. June 26, I’m pretty certain!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
As I mentioned earlier, creating a human life, Maisy Jo. I also birthed her au natural, not by choice. I guess that makes me proud, but when I think back on it, it mostly makes me cringe in pain.
This year I finally nailed how to make bomb sweet tea. Sounds trivial, but it’s important to me. Sweet tea!
9. What was your biggest failure?
Letting Owen watch too much TV. Pretending Owen doesn’t play on the iPad that much and making a neutral face when people without kids talk about what a shame it is that toddlers play with iPads.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Oh my gosh y’all, yes! I have psoriasis. Which is terrible!! Moving from the humidity of Mississippi to the season of winter made my skin go cray cray!
That and Owen’s peanut allergy and Nick’s fire ant allergy. 2013 was the year of the epipen.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A TV for the play room. Dash, Bash, and Ferdinand for Owen. My J.Crew Chambray popover. Jeggings. Oh! And the Keurig. Love that thing.
Please reference above resolution to become less shallow.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Diapers. Food. Starbucks, because there is Starbucks and there was no Starbucks.
13. What did you get really excited about?
The Vampire Diaries on Netflix. Moving to Virginia. Desi. Hunger Games: Catching Fire. The Williamsburg Outlets.
14. What song will always remind you of 2013?
- We Can’t Stop- Miley Cyrus. Hands down guilty pleasure of 2013.
I’ll never forget how I felt when Nick told me Miley was singing about doing lines in the bathroom, not actually standing in the line for the bathroom. I guess it’s a long way from “stepped off the plane at LAX, with my dreams and a cardigan.” I mean, can you really see Miley in a cardigan?
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Happier for sure. I’m back in the Mid-Atlantic, which is kind of my cultural sweet spot.
– thinner or fatter? Oh definitely thinner. Thanks Weight Watchers! If Jessica Simpson can do it, so can I!
– richer or poorer? Poorer. Another baby. Can you believe real estate is pricier in Norfolk than in Gulf Coast Mississippi?
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
- Enjoying Owen and Maisy
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
- yelling at the dog. I’m sorry Molly, it’s not your fault you’re breath smells like cat poop. Actually it is. Stop eating cat poop!!
18. How did you spend Christmas?
In Maryland and Pennsylvania with our families, respectively. It was a depressing Christmas. A highlight was that everyone was sad on Christmas eve, so we all drank this BOMB egg nog from Kilarney House and pretty much everyone was tipsy, but no one really admitted to it. I enjoyed that.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
- New Girl. (Winston and Ferguson an instant favorite)
- Jumped on the Breaking Bad Bandwagon. Amaze-balls.
- The Vampire Diaries. Love me some Ian Somerhalder. Quick note, do not follow on Instagram. Turns out in real life he’s an animal rights activist, not a BA Vampire who wears leather jackets.
- The Mindy Project
- Brooklyn nine nine. 9 9?
- Sherlock. The British one. With Bilbo Baggins. And incidentally- Smaug.
Once Upon a Time is on my list. The special effects were never great, but come on! That and the whole Mulan thing.
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
- Not Allegiant. Worst book ever. EVER!
- Okay, that’s not fair. Technically, Breaking Dawn is the worst book ever. But we knew that was going to be bad. I did not know Allegiant was going to be bad. I thought it was going to be good! #lies
- Matched by Allie Condie
- Is Everyone Hanging out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
- John Mayer’s new album.
- Justin Timberlake
- Miley Cyrus (so ashamed)
- Thomas the Tank Engine rock anthems.
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
- Battleship. It’s an old one, but since I watched it this year, it deserves a shout out.
- Anchorman 2
- Catching Fire
- Beautiful Creatures
- That Hallmark Movie with Tamera Mowry. Or is it Tia Mowry…
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I’m 28. I went to Chick Fil A and saw Catching Fire with Matt and Desi. And Nick. YOLO! Nick also let me get ombre bayalage highlights. I’m not going to lie to you, I look amazing.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Less spanx. Way less spanx.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
If I had to name my fashion line it would be called “Splashy but Classy!” by Kaley. I like to wear over the top colors, to mix and match colors, but I also have a deep desire to look like a snobby Admiral’s wife, like all Navy and Neckerchiefs and Ralph Lauren blazers. I increased my scarf collection greatly this year, I wore a statement necklace (!) and matched teal, purple, and yellow with the help of Pinterest. Large, billowing shirts with jeggings are a must as I am still far off of my goal weight. Oh, and Polka Dots. That’s what I took away from Jess Day this year. Lots of polka dots.
Please reference above resolution to become less shallow (for the second time)
26. What kept you sane?
My iPhone. More specifically my instagram app. When a stay at home mom needs some social interaction, post a baby picture! Driven by desperation, other stay at home moms will graciously comment and like your post.
Tantrum Tuesday. Really helped my sanity to make light of Owen’s terrible twos.
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
I love my husband and I love my little family. No matter what, we’re stuck with each other and I’m totally fine with it. (Insert emoji that blows heart kisses)
28. Your Guilty pleasure?
I inserted this one myself because it needs to be said. My guilty pleasure is using pop culture teenager language on the reg. My favorite words this year have been as follows:
- totes magoats
- hashtag (insert any word)
- totes inapprops. long o. like pro. not prop. hence long o. Long vowels say their names. Now you know.
29. Song lyric that sums up the year: